Writing by Kyle Freelander
While 2013 brought me many things (both good and bad), I am reflecting back on the positive things that the past year has brought to me as I welcome everything 2014 has in store for me. Bring it, I’m ready.
[In no specific order]
[[This is by no means a complete list]]
1. Graduating from the University of Mary Washington.
Okay the picture is humorously dorky but it was a big accomplishment for me.
2. The beginning of a new, beautiful relationship.
We have had our ups and downs, but he challenges me to be better…to be the person I want to be and do the things I want to do. I am excited to ring in the new year with him and cannot wait to make more memories together in 2014.
3. My first book, Facing the Tide, being published.
4. Acceptance into Graduate School for an MFA in Creative Writing Fiction.
While this was an offer I sadly had to turn down, I was flattered none the less to have gotten in. Now I am in the stages of reapplying to MFA programs and hopefully will be able to pursue this particular dream in 2014.
5. Getting to spend time with my family.
6. Meeting new people, making new friends, and the continued friendship of old friends.
Imagine there’s a mirror here…
7. Learning new things like…
a). how to cut out people in my life who take advantage of me and/or our friendship.
Admittedly, this is still a work in progress but even these baby steps have been a weight off of my shoulders.
b). it’s not the end of the world to ask for help when you need it
[and the pleasant discovery that there are still people out there who love to lend a hand to those in need].
8. Knowing the best dog in the world, Pepper, who my family and myself sadly had to say goodbye to in October after 14 years.
He was the best dog a girl could ask for.
9. The chance to travel.
10. Yvonne, our fancy mouse (who passed away a few days ago).
11. Moving into a new apartment.
12. Getting back in the saddle…
…and leasing my first horse.
13. The chance to ring in another new year!
Best wishes to all of my family, friends, fans, readers, those who stumbled upon this post by accident, and everyone else. Happy 2014!